Thursday, February 26, 2009

Why I hate John Locke

Last night as Locke was going through his almost suicide and then murder, I was having a really hard time feeling bad for him. I'm sure I was supposed to. His situation was, after all, rather piteous; no friends, no family, no ability to complete his task, the only woman he loved was "dead." Basically, he had no reason to live. But something about Locke just drives me crazy. Maybe it's because he's a know-it-all, and those types of peeps drive me crazy. Or maybe it's because Locke just really isn't a very likable character. Even though I knew Locke would emerge from the plane in tact, I found myself quite disappointed to see him alive and kicking. Do you think we're supposed to dislike Locke? Am I in the minority here? If you do like him, why?

On another note: What's with Ceasar? Do you think he knows something about the island already, or is he just a naturally suspicious kind of person?

7 comments:

  1. Here's how I watch Lost: on the interwebs. If a child needs noodles or breaks their leg, I get up and help them. Because? parent!

    So pardon my question which MAY have been answered. I only made it to Whidmore introducing himself to JL in the Tunisian scarily deshabile hospital:

    Why is Matthew Abaddon secretly EXACTLY like the Haitian from Heroes? Seriously. OK, maybe without crazy-buns super-powers. But...mysteriously lurking performing missions for powerful evil overlords? Haitian! Abaddon! SO! EXACTLY! THE! SAME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care for Locke either. It's interesting that in the real world he's full of self-loathing, self-pity, depression, etc but on the island he becomes a leader, confident, self-assured, even bossy, etc. I can't think that simply being able to walk again (on the island) is key to the transformation because he was depressed and vindictive before he ever was in a wheelchair. I guess, though, he is quite obsessive in both worlds. Anyway, yeah, I don't have much sympathy for his character. It's interesting that the Oceanic 6 he approached said he was obsessive, didn't know what it was like to be happy/in love, didn't have anything in the real world to live for, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebekah- I TOTALLY agree. I actually called Abaddon "the Haitian" when I was talking to phin about him. Both creept. Both tough. Both mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to agree completely with E's character analysis of our dear Lockey boy. Personally, however, I hate him, I hate him, I hate him.

    Note: please take into account that this very intense antipathy is fueled not only by Lost, but also Alias.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand the hatred toward Locke. He is someone to be pitied, not hated. His self-pity, his self-hatred and fervent desire to be special are traits to be pitied. Do you guys hate him, because he proved not to be the all-knowing savior that he seemed back in Season 1? Did the revelation of his true character disappointed you guys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about the fact that Locke locked Sawyor in a room and forced him to kill Lockes father for him so that ben and the Others would accept Locke into their group? he forced Sawyor to do it for him. Thats just terrible. The guy is pathetic and obsessive and selfish, destroying the hatch just because he lost faith? Lol OK John, just because its not your destiny doesnt mean its not important to press the button you dumb fool. And what he did to charlie in s2 made me loathe him also.

      But if it makes you feel any better, i hate Michael more.

      Delete