Thursday, January 29, 2009

Remember this scene?

DESMOND: (Sighs) Look, honey, all I have to do is find his mother, tell her he's still on the island, and then I'm done with this for good.

PENNY: Why now? If he told you all this on the island, why didn't you remember this until two days ago?

DESMOND: (Sighs) Because, Penn, it worked so well for the writers to have Daniel start jumping around in time to kick off the season, and I'm his constant, and they needed a way to figure out how to get me involved with the island again. So, having not thought things through enough to include this incident in earlier episodes when it would have been more appropriate, they just had me randomly "remember" it, since it worked so well with all the other plot lines.

PENNY: But darling, wouldn't that mean that you would have recognized Daniel when you met him again?

DESMOND: (Sighs) I guess it doesn't work that way. I don't know. Past-me doesn't necessarily remember anything "new" that happens to me while future-me is in my past—or while anyone else visits my past, like Daniel, for example.

PENNY: So you're saying that maybe you didn't remember Daniel when you met him, and you didn't remember this event until now because Daniel hadn't gone back in time until now?

DESMOND: Yeah, I don't know. I guess.

PENNY: But that would require two timelines running at the same time—the only-moves-forward-and-never-backward time that we're all used to, and the going-back-in-time-and-changing-things time. To say "the past hasn't changed yet" is a bit of a paradox, don't you think?

DESMOND: Now I'm all confused.

PENNY: One more thing, Des. The people on the island that are doing all their flash-of-light time-hopping—from the perspective of the Others, such as Richard, do they just disappear all of a sudden? Did you disappear when you did your time-traveling?

DESMOND: No, I didn't. I just would pass out for a while. But I didn't disappear. It was just my "consciousness" that would travel, or something like that.

PENNY: I guess we'll just have to ask Daniel when we see him next.

DESMOND: Or maybe sometime in the future we will remember that we have already asked him.

PENNY: Right. Or maybe the writers were just lazy.

DESMOND: Most likely. 

4 comments:

  1. Very clever.

    I wonder what else Desmond hasn't "remembered" yet. Hmm. Too bad he just can't "remember" that he already spoke to Mrs. Hawking so he doesn't have to travel all the way to Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahhahaha

    Thank you for not revealing more of what I missed last night...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time travel is so confusing. The viewers have to be willing to suspend SO MUCH of reality, that it's almost ridiculous. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wa ha ha! Awesome. And seriously . . . ?!

    I got a distinct feeling of deja vu when watching this episode. Then I remember it's because like, dude, when in Bill and Ted's and they're like totally bummed that they can't bust all their way awesome historical peeps out of jail because Keanu Reeve's dad just doesn't get the Wyld Stalions and has the key to the jail but then dude, they both totally remember to remind themselves that they could narlily pull it off by going to the past and then the future to deposit both the jail keys and a tape recorder with Reeves voice on it to then go back to the past, which is really the present, and then they can awesomely get A's on their history project and save Ted Theodore Logan from bummer of a military academy.

    Most excellent. *air guitar, electric style*

    ReplyDelete